“What is the point of sending somebody back to a country where they don’t have no family?” asks Kao Saelee. “I would be frightened out of my mind.”Like many migrants kidnapped by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement since its creation in 2003, Kao Saelee is imprisoned at a concentration camp in Louisiana, 2,000 miles from his home. Despite the fact Kao that the 41-year-old has lived in California for over 33 years, he now faces deportation to Laos. His family fled the country after the devastating imperialist wars waged on the region by the U.S. from the 1950s to the present day. He has not been there since he was two years old.Kao SaeleeAug. 6 was the day Saelee was supposed to walk out a free man, after 22 years in a California prison. Instead he was shackled, turned over by California state prison guards to a private mercenary and delivered to ICE for deportation. Even as he was “transferred” between prisons, his family was waiting on the other side of the prison walls to bring him home.The practice of handing prisoners over to ICE for deportation is increasingly common in the “blue” state of California, where Democrat Gavin Newsom is governor. Like his California colleague Sen. Kamala Harris, Newsom’s persona has been crafted by PR experts to put a progressive face on reactionary carceral policies.Saelee was also one of thousands of imprisoned workers who have been dispatched to fight wildfires in California. But the capitalist state, indifferent to the heroic work he performed in 2017 and 2018, moved to deport him anyway.Kao Saelee is just one of hundreds of millions of workers who, by sentence or by happenstance, calls this prison nation his home. Workers World Party and the Prisoners Solidarity Committee call for the immediate release of Kao Saelee and for the release of all imprisoned workers in the United States. Sign the petition to demand Gov. Newsom stop ICE transfers at tinyurl.com/yyanpkoy FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare this
KINGSTON, Jamaica – A second state of emergency (SOE) has been declared in Jamaica, this time in the capital city of Kingston.On Sunday during a press conference, Prime Minister Andrew Holness that an SOE is set for the Corporate Area police division of St Andrew South.Holness told journalists during a media briefing at the Office of the Prime Minister, that he advised the Governor-General Patrick Allen on the recommendation given to him by the heads of the security forces.“In St Andrew South the main cause of death is caused by gangs. Violence is at epidemic proportions in Jamaica … the main cause of death is gangs, dons and guns,” the Prime Minister said. Holness also added that 70 per cent of all murders being committed in Jamaica are gang-related.From January 1 to June 29, this year, there were 94 murders in St Andrew South, up from 79 for the corresponding period last year.Currently, there is a state of emergency in effect in the western parishes of Westmoreland, Hanover and St James.In January, a year-long state of public emergency expired in St James. The tri-state SOE was declared on April 30 of this year.In describing the overall crime situation nationally, especially relative to murders, Holness declared that “This is an epidemic and no one should tell that the country should be satisfied with it”.“The truth is that the level of crime is above the capacity of law enforcement to (effectively) respond. There have been 11,000 murders in the last eight years, and we do not have enough investigators,” said Holness.Many citizens have criticized the Holness administration’s decision to implement the State of Emergency, saying that move is just a cover for no real crime-fighting plan. But Holness has defended his decision, stating that “the Government is employing not just one strategy, but a raft of strategies that must complement each other”The measure will be in force initially for 14 days pending approval by the Houses of Parliament for an extension.
And USA shared the spoils in an entertaining encounter on Tuesday after Oscar Opazo’s ninth-minute equalizer at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston.Berhalter said he would makes changes and he did just that with seven alterations to the starting 11. One was enforced after Schalke midfielder Weston McKennie suffered an ankle injury against Ecuador, though Borussia Dortmund star Pulisic was named in the lineup.WATCH HIM WORK! @cpulisic_10 puts away the opener in Houston! pic.twitter.com/SDGPLa6MGt— U.S. Soccer MNT (@USMNT) March 27, 2019Meanwhile, Chile, who was stunned by Mexico last time out, featured Arturo Vidal, Gary Medel and Mauricio Isla.It was a lively and open start to proceedings, with USA needing just four minutes to break the deadlock against the South American visitors.A delightful one-touch pass from Gyasi Zardes sent Pulisic through and the Chelsea-bound star scooped the ball over Chile goalkeeper Gabriel Arias — becoming the youngest USA international to double figures with his 10th goal.Not since 1983-84 under Alkis Panagoulias had USA kept four consecutive clean sheets to start a coaching tenure and Berhalter’s quest to tie the record was ended by Opazo.Play for the crest.Second half of #USAvCHI underway. Keep it on ESPN2, UniMás, & UDN! pic.twitter.com/aQiuoGSoq2— U.S. Soccer MNT (@USMNT) March 27, 2019Responding well to falling behind, Opazo — unmarked at the back post — fired a powerful shot across Ethan Horvath and into the far corner of the net for his maiden international goal in the ninth minute.Both teams looked threatening but USA was dealt a blow 10 minutes before halftime when Pulisic was substituted hobbling off the ground.Chile gained control as the game wore on but Zardes almost restored USA’s lead 10 minutes into the second half after getting through on goal and creating a chance out of nothing, but his shot went over the bar.What does it mean? USA yet to taste defeatBerhalter’s 100 percent record as head coach came to a halt but the rebuilding Americans continue to move forward. They were forced to play on the counter against an impressive Chile side and managed to make it four games without a loss. Christian Pulisic scored as the United States stayed unbeaten under Gregg Berhalter thanks to a 1-1 international friendly draw against Chile.Pulisic opened the scoring inside four minutes for USA, who had won three successive matches without conceding a goal since Berhalter’s appointment, with a sublime scooped effort before suffering an apparent muscle injury. Zardes cementing his spotThe only player to play in every match since Berhalter’s appointment, Zardes impressed again on Tuesday. The Columbus Crew forward was a nuisance throughout, while he produced the moment of skill to unlock Chile and tee up Pulisic in the first half.Another injuryAfter McKennie was carried off on a stretcher in Orlando, USA star Pulisic was also forced from the field. Pulisic went down and received treatment before being replaced by Sebastian Lletget. It may be precautionary but USA and Dortmund will be sweating over his fitness.What’s next?Attention turns to respective tournaments for USA and Chile. A friendly against Venezuela and another yet to be confirmed will be followed by the start of the CONCACAF Gold Cup in June. Chile, meanwhile, will focus on defending their Copa America crown in Brazil.