The Jami’ Ar-Rahmah mosque located in East Tebet subdistrict in Tebet, South Jakarta, insisted on gathering dozens of local residents for Friday prayer, even though the subdistrict had one confirmed case COVID-19.Friday prayer is obligatory for Muslim men in place of zuhur (daily midday prayer). It is also accompanied by a mandatory sermon that can last up to 45 minutes.The mosque also went against an Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) fatwa issued on Monday that called on Muslims to pray at home and avoid congregating in areas where COVID-19 had spread “uncontrollably”, including skipping “Friday prayers in those areas until the situation returns to normal”. Tribunnews.com reported on locals and authorities from Lampung, Bangka Belitung and Riau provinces choosing to disinfect their mosques and conducting the weekly prayer. The Great Mosque of Palembang in South Sumatra even gave out pamphlets containing information about COVID-19 to attendees.Indonesia has reported 369 positive COVID-19 cases with 32 fatalities as of Friday.Al Azhar Mosque in South Jakarta also went ahead with the weekly event.Some mosques have chosen to heed the MUI’s warning and canceled Friday prayer, including prominent ones such Istiqlal Grand Mosque, Sunda Kelapa Mosque and Baiturrahim Mosque in the State Palace compound, all in Central Jakarta.In addition to the MUI fatwa, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan also announced on Thursday that the city would limit Friday prayer and all other mass religious activities for the next two weeks after a discussion with the Jakarta Religious Harmony Forum and all religious leaders in the capital.With 210 cases, Jakarta has the highest number of COVID-19 infections from the 17 provinces that have reported the disease.”We agreed to suspend all communal worship activities for two weeks. We urge people to pray at home during this time,” Anies said during a press briefing at City Hall on Thursday.After the administration’s warning, Istiqlal Mosque agreed to suspend Friday prayer for two weeks after insisting on holding the event.Istiqlal high imam Nasaruddin Umar also advised Muslims across the country to avoid all forms of congregational prayers during the pandemic.“We are strongly encouraged to prevent everything that is harmful,” he added. “Preventing harm is more important than pursuing benefits.” (mfp) Topics : Ahmad, a 35-year-old caretaker of the Jami’ Ar-Rahmah Mosque said the Indonesian Mosque Council and the subdistrict’s office had approved the Friday prayer, adding that the mosque had been cleaned and sprayed with disinfected beforehand.“The people were eager to attend Friday prayer, so we still held it,” Ahmad told The Jakarta Post on Friday.Jami’ Ar-Rahmah was one of the many mosques still compelled to hold Friday prayer despite the ulema council’s warning. Caretakers of the Great Al Azhom mosque in Tangerang, Banten, said the mosque still held Friday prayer with a shorter sermon than usual while also advising people to bring their own prayer mats.“Because as of now, Tangerang is not a red zone. So, we chose to still have Friday prayer,” Chaerudin said on Friday as quoted by kompas.com, adding that the mosque had already been disinfected and people attending the prayer would have their temperatures checked.
Unai Emery wanted to pick Nacho Monreal in Arsenal starting XI for north London derby Comment Monreal’s long-term replacement is Kieran Tierney, but he is currently sidelined (Picture: Getty)Although Monreal was well liked by Emery, his game time was likely to reduce significantly once summer signing Kieran Tierney returns to full fitness.The Scot arrived at the Emirates in a £25million deal from Celtic but was recovering from a double hernia operation over the summer; he is expected to make his return to full training this month, with a debut to follow not long after.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Metro Sport ReporterMonday 9 Sep 2019 9:50 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link426Shares Advertisement The Spanish coach wanted to use his compatriot against Spurs before letting him leave (Picture: Getty)Unai Emery had wanted to delay Nacho Monreal’s transfer away from Arsenal so he could start against Tottenham in the north London derby but was prevented from doing so.The Gunners fought back from two goals down against Spurs to draw 2-2 at the Emirates in a thrilling contest, while Monreal completed a move to Real Sociedad barely 24 hours beforehand.He had taken part in training that week and, according to The Athletic, if Emery had been given his way he would have started at left-back in the derby. Advertisement Monreal’s move was confirmed on Saturday morning, with Arsenal playing Sunday afternoon (Getty)The Arsenal boss had no qualms about playing Henrikh Mkhitaryan despite the midfielder being shipped off to Roma the very next day, and he wanted to do the same with Monreal.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTThe defender was one of the manager’s most trusted players and would have been part of Arsenal’s leadership team – Emery likes to pick five ‘captains’ – but he had his heart set on a return to Spain.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityRegardless, Emery had hoped to get one more outing out of Monreal in the blood and thunder atmosphere of a north London derby, but Arsenal chiefs decided to sanction his transfer to Sociedad before the game instead, denying Emery the chance to name his preferred starting XI.Arsenal had appeared to pinpoint Spurs’ right flank as an area of weakness – with centre-back Davinson Sanchez forced to play at right-back due to injuries – but Monreal’s replacement, Sead Kolasinac, could not make the most of the space and opportunities he was provided.
Munster head coach Rob Penney said securing a home Heineken Cup quarter-final was ‘massive’ for his team as they coasted to a 38-6 bonus-point win over Edinburgh at Thomond Park. “One of the things we spoke about was our magnificent supporters who follow us around Europe and everywhere we go,” said the New Zealander. “For the lads, it was a small reward for them to be able to come and watch us here at home, for the season ticket holders to be able to come and watch them play at Thomond Park. “As a cauldron it is a very difficult place for any team to come and play. To have that opportunity to play one more European Cup game on our home ground is great – wonderful reward for the lads’ efforts.” Penney was admittedly pleased with the manner in which his side refused to get distracted by the fact they knew a bonus-point victory was what was required before today’s round six clash with the Scots. “We were really focused on getting the job done in a really professional way, which was a great sign. “You shouldn’t underestimate Edinburgh for a start. But I was really excited about the potential for us to get Edinburgh on a firm track and the proof is in the pudding. “Knowing what was needed beforehand could have been a distraction. It is a great credit to the lads that they just went about their task and focused on being in one moment at a time and just doing the job. “It is very easy to get anxious if the points are not coming when you know a bonus-point win is what is required to get a special outcome. “It was nice for us to know as a group. The one pleasing thing is that we did not get distracted by it.” Meanwhile, Edinburgh boss Alan Solomons said the sin-binning of their flanker Cornell du Preez on the stroke of half-time was a major moment in the game. “That was a big decision. That had a major influence at that particular point,” insisted Solomons, whose side were hoping to win through to the Amlin Challenge Cup quarter-finals. “Munster got a try (from Conor Murray) coming out of half-time which put them up 19-6. Then the game starts to get beyond you and later on again we had another yellow card (for Geoff Cross) which made it very, very difficult. “Munster are a good team and when you make mistakes and you turn over ball or are down to 14 men, they are going to take advantage. “Those 10 minutes were a key factor and once those 10 minutes were gone, the game was pretty much gone as well.” Having led 12-6 at the break, Penney’s charges went on to dominate the second half with tries from Conor Murray, captain Peter O’Mahony – allied to closing scores from Simon Zebo and Felix Jones – ensuring they will host a last-eight date in Limerick in early April. Penney said he was pleased for Munster’s supporters that their 15th quarter-final appearance in 16 seasons would be at Thomond Park. Press Association