The Notre Dame Fund to Protect Human Life will award its first Evangelium Vitae Medal to Richard Doerflinger, associate director of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), according to a University press release issued earlier this week. “We are looking for an American who has contributed over a long period of time significantly to the pro-life movement, especially at the beginning of life,” said David Solomon, chair of the Fund’s governing committee. “It was the active role he’s played, specifically in political life … that made us choose [Doerflinger].” Doerflinger has been a leader in the pro-life movement for over 30 years, according to the University’s press release. Solomon said Doerflinger works with the USCCB in Washington D.C. on pro-life issues and was especially active in presenting the USCCB’s stance on abortion in the federal government’s recent healthcare debates. The University’s Center for Ethics and Culture established the Notre Dame Fund to Protect Human Life earlier this year. It relies on private donors, not University money, to dedicate itself to pro-life issues, specifically at the beginning of human life, Solomon said. A five-person committee, which includes Solomon, Notre Dame Professors Fr. Wilson Miscamble, Carter Snead and Daniel Philpott and Associate Director of the Center of Ethics and Culture Elizabeth Kirk, controls the fund. The Fund will announce the Evangelium Vitae Medal recipient each year on Respect Life Sunday, Solomon said, and award it on the Feast of the Annunciation, which falls on March 25, 2011. The award includes a $10,000 prize and a specially commissioned medal, according to the press release. This medal is part of a larger initiative by the Fund to Protect Human Life, which will be formally announced within the next six weeks. “We’re starting a big new pro-life initiative in general, and we’re going to call it the Project Guadeloupe,” Solomon said. “It’s a project that will both involve education efforts here at Notre Dame and research efforts.” The initiative will encourage programs such as an annual life seminar on Notre Dame’s campus, a number of courses about life in the Notre Dame curriculum and a two-year master’s degree and service program based on pro-life work, Solomon said.
… Baird, Archibald, Foster and Perry being consideredTHE final team to represent Guyana at the South American (SA) Senior Championships set for two weeks from now in Ecuador, has not yet been selected by the Athletics Association of Guyana (AAG). However, national men’s javelin record-holder Leslain Baird, and Penn Relays silver medallist jumper Emanuel Archibald are among those being considered.Speaking with Chronicle Sport yesterday, AAG president Aubrey Hutson confirmed that the selection had not yet been finalised, but noted that the Association is hoping to take about six athletes to the event. As always though, finances will be the defining factor.“We’re still working on it. It depends heavily on our financial capabilities,” he said.Pressed about possible choices, Hutson related that overseas-based Emanuel Archibald and Andrea Foster had indicated their interest to represent and were being considered, while Baird and local sprinter Rupert Perry were also being given some thought.With the local National Seniors Championships not being held until July 1 -2, and the South American Senior Championships set for June 23 – 24, Hutson said the athletes will be selected based on how close, in their respective events, they are to the qualifying marks of the World Championships.“We couldn’t hold trials because of the South American Junior Championships. So we’re looking to send persons who wish to qualify for World Championships. We’re looking at those athletes whose times are close to the (World Championships) qualifying time and will give them a chance,” Hutson explained.The National Seniors Championships had originally been set for June 3-4, in time to assess the seniors, and make a selection, before the South American Senior Championships. However, after a late request was made for Guyana to hold the South American Junior Championships, that event was held on that date instead.This left the National Seniors being pushed to July, leaving a void of trials for the SASC, and saw the AAG installing this new criterion.Archibald has been enjoying a notable season thus far, which peaked with his silver medal claim at the Penn Relays men’s long jump clearing 7.47m, while representing his school University of the West Indies.Archibald was last year awarded a scholarship from the National Sports Commission to attend the University in Jamaica.However, the World Championships qualifying mark for the men’s long jump is 8.15m. Archibald also participates in the triple jump and dabbles in sprints. However, even in the triple jump Archibald’s 15m personal best is some distance from the 16.80m qualifying leap required to make it to the World Championships.A CARIFTA Games bronze medallist, Foster is a middle-distance runner studying on a scholarship at Essex College in the USA. Foster has had a SB of 2:11.48s and 4:40.00s respectively in the women’s 800m and 1500m. For her, she has to bring her times down to 2:01.00s and 4:26.70s to make anywhere near London this August.In the case of Baird, not even Guyana’s national record of 69.97m in the men’s javelin is far from the 83m the IAAF has set for persons to qualify in this event.Perry is another sprinter. However, he has a huge task achieving the 10.12 seconds and 20.44 seconds qualifying marks for events that Jamaica’s Usain Bolt will no doubt dominate when he takes his final race.
Wimbledon 2019: Serena Williams says knee issue wasn’t factor in Simona Halep defeat In doing so, Halep claimed her maiden title at the All England Club, while Williams was left to reflect on a third successive defeat in major finals.Halep, meanwhile, now has a second crown to add to the French Open she won in 2018, having lost all three of her grand slam finals before that Roland Garros triumph. Related News Simona Halep revealed how she shrugged aside her previous trepidation of facing Serena Williams as she hammered the 23-time grand slam champion in Saturday’s Wimbledon final.Prior to their meeting on Centre Court, Halep had won just one of 10 meetings with the American, at the WTA Finals in Singapore five years ago, but she was put aside her rival 6-2, 6-2 in less than an hour on this occasion. Wimbledon 2019: Serena Williams says she was a ‘deer in the headlights’ in loss to Halep Wimbledon 2019: Simona Halep calls victory over Serena Williams her best match “Well, I thought about the match, but I didn’t think at all against who I play,” Halep told a media conference.”I (have) always been intimidated a little bit when I faced Serena. She’s an inspiration for everyone and the model for everyone.”Today I decided before the match that I’m going to focus on myself and on the final of a grand slam, not on her. That’s why I was able to play my best, to be relaxed, and to be able to be positive and confident against her.When the dream becomes a reality… #Wimbledon | @Simona_Halep pic.twitter.com/MTTkwRdthE— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) July 13, 2019″I decided this morning how I have to play against her. I knew exactly what I have to do to put her in trouble, not letting her make her game.”When she has time, she plays unbelievable. I played many times against her. I knew how the ball is coming. I knew what she doesn’t like that much.”Today I just went for it like in Singapore. I had that image in my head. I really believed there is the chance to do the same thing. I knew I have to stay there every ball. Otherwise, when she comes back, she’s very powerful. “It’s never easy to face a grand slam final. You can get intimidated by the moment. You can get nervous, too nervous.”I have learned that it’s a normal match, not thinking that much about the trophy, just going there and try to be the best as you can. So I did that.”I said that every time I would play a final of a grand slam, I will do exactly the same thing. So today I did it.”
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time. Milan: Italian teenager Jannik Sinner admitted he felt like Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal as he basked in the spotlight after defeating top-seed Australian Alex de Minaur in straight sets to win the Next Gen ATP Finals on home soil in Milan on Saturday.The 18-year-old Sinner, an eighth-seeded wildcard, saved nine break points to win 4-2, 4-1, 4-2 in just over an hour against 18th-ranked De Minaur, who also lost last year’s final to Stefanos Tsitsipas. The tournament, which began in 2017, features the eight best players aged 21-and-under on the ATP Tour.And Sinner came in as a late wild card after a season when he rose almost 500 places to break into the Top 100.The player from the north of Italy, near the border with Austria, was basking in the spotlight at the hysterical support from the home crowd.”It’s something different,” he said.”I never had this kind of support, even on court. I don’t know if Roger or Rafa are still enjoying these kind of things.”I’m young and I’m enjoying it.””It’s been an unbelievable week,” continued the 95th-ranked Italian, who beat another top 20 ranked player France’s Gael Monfils last month en route to the semi-finals in Antwerp.”I was the last one in and tried to take my chances.”I played better and better with each game.”It was the first meeting between De Minaur and Sinner.But the Italian, the youngest competitor in this year’s tournament, brushed aside his Australian rival dubbed ‘Speed Demon’, who had captured his first three ATP Tour titles in Sydney, Atlanta and Zhuhai.”The biggest difference was I had nine break points and I wasn’t able to convert any of them,” said De Minaur.”Yanick played a really impressive match, he was putting me under pressure very often.”If I had converted some of those break points early it would have been a completely different match.”The Australian added: “It don’t think it would be very smart if I judged my season on this one match.”Obviously I’ve had my best season yet.”I’m happy to be able to sit down and know that I finished the year 18 in the world. Now I’ve got the Davis Cup to look forward to.”È stata una settimana davvero incredibile! 😎Grazie Jannik! 😍#NextGenATP #SeeTheFuture #Sinner @janniksin pic.twitter.com/z7TD3S2xdn— Next Gen ATP Finals (@nextgenfinals) November 9, 2019Sinner broke to love in the sixth game of the first set and staved off break points on his serve in the first game of the second set.Hitting two aces he converted three of his eight break point chances to wrap up the match to love when De Minaur hit a return of serve into the net.Sinner’s winnings for the week over $372,000 overtake his career earnings of $274,470 so far, in a season he started the rankings 551.He follows South Korean Hyeon Chung and Tsitsipas, who won the two previous editions.Both went on to reach their maiden Grand Slam semi-final at the Australian Open two months later.The top two players in the category are absent, with Greece’s Tsitsipas playing at the ATP Tour Finals in London next week, while world number 15 Denis Shapovalov withdrew from Milan after reaching last weekend’s Paris Masters final.The Next Gen tournament also offers a chance to test new innovations. Matches are played in three winning sets with four games, and a tie-break at 3-3.Coaching is allowed using headphones with hawk-eye replacing line judges.The let returned this year having being eliminated in the two previous editions. Alex De MinauratpATP FinalsJannik Sinner First Published: November 10, 2019, 8:21 AM IST