(REUTERS) – Tour de France champion Chris Froome said yesterday that he had escaped unhurt while having his bike written off by an impatient car driver in a hit-and-run incident.The 31-year-old three-time winner of the world’s biggest bike race, tweeted a picture of the twisted remains of his “totalled” training bike, saying he had been deliberately knocked off by the driver.The Team Sky rider said he was “okay” after the incident that happened during a training ride near his home in the south of France.Sky News reported that it understood Froome would be reporting the incident to police.“Just got rammed on purpose by an impatient driver, who followed me onto the pavement! Thankfully I’m okay. Bike totalled. Driver kept going!”, the Team Sky rider wrote, adding an emoji of hands clasped in prayer.Team Sky said the Monaco-based Froome had continued his training session after returning home to get a spare bike.Froome is training for June’s Criterium du Dauphine, his familiar warm-up event before the Tour de France between July 1 and 23. He is favourite to win the event for a third successive year.The incident was just another reminder of the continued perils faced by professional cyclists on the road during training rides.It occurred less than three weeks since the death of 37-year-old Michele Scarponi, the former Giro d’Italia winner, who was struck by a van while training in Italy.His team, Astana, described the death of Scarponi, a husband and father of two, as a ‘tragedy too big to be written’.
A player with Serbian top flight club Novi Pazar was threatened by the team’s own supporters at gunpoint after missing a penalty, the world players’ union FIFPro said on Thursday.Describing the incident as “a new low in Serbian professional football”, FIFPro said that Novi Pazar’s Zarko Udovicic sent his penalty over the crossbar in the 85th minute of last Saturday’s game against FK Rad.Two days later, several hooligans burst into the dressing-room at the club’s training ground, drew a gun and held it in Udovicic’s face, FIFPro said. The player has since left the club.Mirko Poledica, president of the Serbian professional footballers’ association Nezavisnost, said neither the Serbian Football Association nor the league had taken any action.”Must we wait until some hooligan actually kills one of our players”, he said. “What worries me is that there is no reaction from the football association. They remain quiet.”They must do something to guarantee the safety of the players. But they don’t. Next time a player could be murdered.”The only positive thing from this situation, is that our Deputy Prime Minister (Rasim Ljajic) has spoken out and acknowledged the serious problems we are facing. “In Serbia, no fan has ever been prosecuted or convicted after violent behaviour against a football player. That’s why players are afraid.”Each day they hope that there will be nobody knocking on their door to beat them up, that there will be no person setting their car on fire, or that there will be no hooligan putting a gun to their head.”FIFPro said: “Like every professional workman, each professional footballer is entitled to a safe working environment. It is up to the football and national authorities to provide such safe environment.”
A two man high power football delegation from European Football Governing body (UEFA) is due in Liberia from March 22 to 23, to discuss UEFA’s cooperation with the Liberia Football Association.The delegation will be headed by UEFA’s Deputy and current Acting Secretary General Theodore Theodoridis and Urs Kluser Integrity Officer, Legal Affairs/Disciplinary Services.A release from the LFA yesterday said the two-man UEFA delegation will discuss future cooperation with the Liberian FA in all aspect of football development.The coming of the UEFA delegation to Liberia followed discussions held between LFA President Musa Bility and newly elected FIFA President Gianni Infantino on the margins of last week’s FIFA Congress in Zurich.The LFA President reportedly played an influential role in deciding the outcome of the FIFA presidential polls.President Bility is excited about the upcoming visit and said it will help Liberia reach a higher mark in its football development program, the release said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Vick, the younger brother of Atlanta Falcons quarterback and former Tech star Michael Vick, was suspended from school in 2004 for several legal problems. But the junior came under new and intense scrutiny this week after replays showed he stomped on the left calf of Louisville All-American defensive end Elvis Dumervil during the Jan. 2 bowl. No penalty was called on the play and Vick claimed its was accidental. He further hurt his cause by claiming to have apologized to Dumervil, the NCAA sacks leader, but the Louisville player said no such apology was ever offered. Going pro: Oregon first-team All-American defensive tackle Haloti Ngata and Fresno State standout cornerback Richard Marshall said they will pass on their senior seasons and enter the NFL draft. The 6-foot-5, 338-pound Ngata, the Pac-10’s co-defensive player of the year and Outland Trophy finalist, said financial concerns and his mother’s poor health led him to the decision. NFL scouts have told him he will likely be drafted in ht emiddle of the second round, at worst. Marshall, a two-time all WAC selection who led the team with 78 tackles this season, could be a second- or third-round pick, Fresno State coach Pat Hill said NFL scouts have assessed. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick was dismissed from the team Friday, the result of numerous legal transgressions as well as his unsportsmanlike conduct in the Gator Bowl. University president Charles Steger announced the dismissal on the same day that coach Frank Beamer met with Vick and his mother in their Hampton Roads home, the school said in a statement. Beamer informed them of the decision during the meeting. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson On Friday, it was revealed that Vick had been stopped for speeding and driving with a revoked or suspended license in Hampton on Dec. 17, according to police. Vick’s license had been taken away in August 2004 when he was cited for reckless driving and marijuana possession in New Kent County. Steger suspended Vick from school at that time, and warned that any additional problems would effectively end his time as a member of the Hokies’ football team. School officials said in a statement that there would be no further comment until a news conference today. Vick said before the Hokies’ 35-24 comeback victory in the Gator Bowl that he planned to return for his senior season. He can now either declare for the NFL Draft by the Jan. 15 deadline or transfer to a Division I-AA school so he can play next season. In 24 career games, the last 13 starts, Vick was 207-for-346 for 2,868 yards, 19 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. He also rushed 184 times for 492 yards and six TDs.