• Home
  • Archive by category "miljplgq"

JCR elections re-poll at New

first_imgNew College has become mired in controversy following allegations of fraud and vote-rigging in the recent JCR presidential elections. It has been alleged that forged signatures and misuse of proxy votes have affected the election’s outcome. The results of the elections, held on Monday, have been discarded and re-polling is to occur today. This follows the discovery that proxy votes had been submitted after the 9am deadline, with some votes alleged to be fraudulent with intention of influencing the winner of the election. New College JCR constitution dictates that proxy votes, balloted by students voting on behalf of others, are to be submitted in writing before 9am on the day of the election. Returning officer David Snower has admitted in a JCR email that he failed to implement the constitution. He said, “As returning officer I take full responsibility for not clarifying the rules concerning proxy votes to the people on the ballot box.” The results were announced at 10.30pm on Monday night with Matthew Ranger emerging as the President-Elect, with 92 votes, and Stephen McGlynn coming a close second with 88 votes. However, allegations of fraudulent voting shortly followed these results. One member of the New College JCR, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “It seems the fraudsters cast a significant amount of proxy votes on behalf of people who didn’t intend to vote. This occurred on the actual day of the election, which is not allowed under our constitution… Soon after the results were announced in the bar on Monday, people started claiming to have rigged the election.” In an email to the JCR, Snower explained the decision to re-poll: “As no voting slips are marked, it was impossible to ascertain which of these invalid votes went to which candidates. Therefore the only way to ensure that the result is fair is to have a re-poll.” In the same email Snower claimed that the votes were purely from “people on their year abroad and others who couldn’t attend the ballot box.” The current New College JCR President, Ben Karlin, said, “The situation is unfortunate for all concerned, but given the circumstances the fairest possible outcome has been reached and I wish the candidates the best of luck on Friday.” The JCR email encourages “everyone to vote in exactly the same manner in which they voted on Monday.” Photo: Richard Lowkeslast_img read more

‘Clegg off campus’ protest planned

first_imgStudents are planning on protesting outside of a speech being given by Nick Clegg, on Tuesday. The Deputy Prime Minister and leader of the Liberal Democrats will be in Oxford to deliver the 2014 European Studies Centre Annual Lecture. The subject of his talk shall be ‘Britain’s Place in the EU’. Tickets for the event are now oversubscribed.The European Studies Centre is dedicated to the interdisciplinary study of Europe and seeks to bring together economists, sociologists, social anthropologists and students of culture. The Centre was established in 1976 with funding from the Volkswagen Foundation.Previous givers of the European Studies Centre’s Annual Lecture include German Minister of Finance Wolfgang Schäuble, in 2013, and in 2006, the then Prime Minister Tony Blair.The protest is being organised by the Oxford Activist Network (OAN), which was founded in January. The group seeks to bring together Oxford students, staff of the University, local councillors, Oxford Brookes students and Ruskin College students. The time and location of the protest is to be decided on Monday.Clegg’s visit will come two days ahead of the City Council and European Parliament elections being held on May 22nd. The Deputy Prime Minister is also participating in a question and answer session with readers of the Oxford Mail, on the same day.Clegg has attracted controversy for signing the NUS’ ‘Vote for Students’ pledge prior to the 2010 general election, promising to oppose any increase in student tuition fees, before tripling tuition fees in government. Clegg apologised for breaking the pledge in a party political broadcast, in September 2012. The apology was later remixed into a song.Xavier Cohen, who is a member of the Oxford Activist Network and is helping to organise the demonstration, commented, “No one has forgotten Nick Clegg’s betrayal of the student movement in 2010 — he promised us free education, then with the Tories, tripled our tuition fees. Now he expects to be welcomed onto our campus. If we take the NUS’s support for free education seriously, which we should, then we need to show mass opposition to Clegg on Tuesday and show everyone that students haven’t forgotten the stab in the back, and will fight against the marketisation of education.”A spokesperson for the Liberal Democrats commented, “Nick Clegg is the only party leader standing up for Britain’s place in Europe; protecting jobs, helping fight climate change and cross border crime, as well as millions of pounds of EU funding for our universities and the right for our students to take advantage of the Erasmus scheme.”last_img read more

Results of 2015 Ocean City Women’s Lifeguard Invitational Races

first_imgBox SwimVentnor: Colleen CallaghanStone Harbor: Hayley EdwardsOcean City: Lexi SanterBrigantine: Lynn JuanSea Isle City: Madison Meyer PaddleboardOcean City: Lexi SanterStone Harbor: Hayley EdwardsCape May: Meghan TurnerBrigantine: Grace EmigSea Isle City: Sofia Lebedeva Surf DashSea Isle City: Alissa Lamey, Danielle DeMichele, Kristi Rohrer and Shannah McErleanWildwood Crest: Bridget Tarnowski, Kendal Love, Christina Karoulis and Kate NadiOcean City: Sam Brady, Sarah Westley, Erin Myers and Lexi SanterVentnor: Stacey Price, Colleen Callaghan, Kelly McDevitt and Meghan HollandCape May: Sam Haines, Meghan Turner, Kylie O’Rourke and Cindy York The surf dash relay makes up the final event at the Ocean City Beach Patrol Women’s Invitational races on Wednesday, July 29.Ventnor Beach Patrol won three of five events at the Ocean City Beach Patrol Women’s Invitational on Wednesday evening and captured the team title from the host patrol.Ocean City had won its home event the four previous years.Ocean City’s Lexi Santer finished third in the box swim and came back two events later to win the paddleboard race by a wide margin.OCBP’s doubles rowing team of Stephanie Hauck and Erin Curry finished second in the competition’s first event. Casey Merrill and Noel Styer teamed up to take fifth in the row-swim with both competitors rowing out to a flag and Styer jumping out and swimming back to the beach.Santer anchored a third-place surf dash relay team that included Sam Brady, Sarah Westley and Erin Myers.Ventnor won the first three events to leave little doubt about the outcome. Jessie Burke and Amanda McCabe won the doubles row. Colleen Callaghan had an easy victory in the swim, and Meghan Holland and Melissa Toy won the row-swim.Results were as follows: Sprint DoublesVentnor: Jessie Burke and Amanda McCabeOcean City: Stephanie Hauck and Erin CurryAtlantic City: Megan Birkbeck and Danielle LaRotondaMargate: Amanda Auble and Kristine AubleLongport: Caroline Bradley and Catie Vesper Row-SwimVentnor: Meghan Holland and Melissa ToyAtlantic City: Megan Birkbeck and Theresa StarnsStone Harbor: Tricia Stump and Emily MessinaBrigantine: Lauren Stinson and Kylie McKenzieOcean City: Casey Merrill and Noel Styer Top 5 PatrolsVentnor: 20 pointsOcean City: 17 pointsStone Harbor: 11 pointsSea Isle City: 8 pointsAtlantic City: 7 pointslast_img read more

Two Pharmaceutical Employees Admit Health Care Fraud Conspiracy Targeting State Health Benefits Programs

first_imgSept. 27, 2017Two Burlington County, New Jersey, men today admitted defrauding New Jersey state health benefits programs and other insurers by submitting fraudulent claims for medically unnecessary prescriptions, Acting U.S. Attorney William E. Fitzpatrick and New Jersey Attorney General Christopher S. Porrino announced.Judd Holt, 42, a pharmaceutical sales representative from Marlton, New Jersey, and George Gavras, 36, a pharmaceutical sales representative from Moorestown, New Jersey, pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Robert B. Kugler in Camden federal court to separate informations charging them with conspiracy to commit health care fraud.According to documents filed in this case and statements made in court:Compounded medications are supposed to be specialty medications mixed by a pharmacist to meet the specific medical needs of an individual patient. Although compounded drugs are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), they are properly prescribed when a physician determines that an FDA-approved medication does not meet the health needs of a particular patient, such as if a patient is allergic to a dye or other ingredient.From January 2015 through April 2016, Holt and Gavras served as recruiters in the conspiracy and persuaded individuals in New Jersey to obtain very expensive and medically unnecessary compounded medications from an out-of-state pharmacy, identified in the informations as the “Compounding Pharmacy.” The conspirators learned that certain compound medication prescriptions – including pain, scar, antifungal, and libido creams, as well as vitamin combinations – were reimbursed for thousands of dollars for a one-month supply.The conspirators also learned that some New Jersey state and local government and education employees, including teachers, firefighters, municipal police officers, and state troopers, had insurance coverage for these particular compound medications. An entity referred to in the informations as the “Pharmacy Benefits Administrator” provided pharmacy benefit management services for the State Health Benefits Program, which covers qualified state and local government employees, retirees, and eligible dependents, and the School Employees’ Health Benefits Program, which covers qualified local education employees, retirees, and eligible dependents. The Pharmacy Benefits Administrator would pay prescription drug claims and then bill the State of New Jersey for the amounts paid.The conspirators recruited public employees and other individuals covered by the Pharmacy Benefits Administrator to fraudulently obtain compounded medications from the Compounding Pharmacy without any evaluation by a medical professional that they were medically necessary. In return, the pharmacy paid one of Holt and Gavras’ conspirators a percentage of each prescription filled and paid by the Pharmacy Benefits Administrator, which was then distributed to other members of the conspiracy.Once they had recruited an employee covered by the Pharmacy Benefits Administrator, Holt and Gavras would obtain the employee’s insurance information and fill out a Compounding Pharmacy prescription form. They would select the compounded medications that paid the most without regard to their medical necessity.Holt and Gavras would then get the prescriptions signed by doctors and other qualified health professionals who never saw the patients or evaluated whether the patients had a medical necessity for the compounded medication. The prescriptions were then faxed to Compounding Pharmacy, which filled the prescriptions and billed the Pharmacy Benefits Administrator.According to the informations, the Pharmacy Benefits Administrator paid Compounding Pharmacy over $50 million for compounded medications mailed to individuals in New Jersey.As part of the plea agreements, Holt must forfeit $95,574.49 in criminal proceeds he received for his role in the scheme and pay restitution of at least $769,762.53. Gavras agreed to forfeit $204,002.02 and pay restitution of at least $679,368.53.Each defendant faces a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine, or twice the gross gain or loss from the offense. Sentencing for both defendants is scheduled for Jan. 5, 2018.Six other conspirators – Matthew Tedesco, Robert Bessey, Michael Pepper, Thomas Hodnett, Steven Urbanski, and John Gaffney – pleaded guilty in August and September 2017 and await sentencing.Acting U.S. Attorney Fitzpatrick credited agents of the FBI’s Atlantic City Resident Agency, under the direction of Special Agent in Charge Timothy Gallagher in Newark, IRS – Criminal Investigation, under the direction of Special Agent in Charge Jonathan D. Larsen in Newark, and the Department of Labor, Office of Inspector General, under the direction of Special Agent in Charge Michael C. Mikulka in New York, with the investigation leading to the guilty pleas. He also thanked the Division of Pensions and Financial Transactions in the State Attorney General’s Office, under the direction of Attorney General Porrino and Division Chief Eileen Schlindwein Den Bleyker, for its assistance in the investigation.The government is represented by Assistant U.S. Attorneys R. David Walk, Jr. and Jacqueline M. Carle of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Camden. 17-356Defense counsel:Holt: Rocco C. Cipparone Jr. Esq., Haddon Heights, New Jersey Gavras: Robert N. Agre Esq., Haddonfield, New JerseyJudd.Holt.Information.pdfGeorge.Gavras.Information.pdflast_img read more

Strike at Warburtons averted

first_imgWarburtons and the Bakers Food and Allied Workers Union (BFAWU) have reached a pay agreement following the threat of strike action.The union, which called off planned strike action before Christmas over what it saw as a low pay offer, confirmed on 11 January that an agreement had been reached.No pay figure was available but Warburtons described it as “an extremely competitive offer in the context of the food industry” and pronounced themselves pleased with the resolution of the dispute.last_img read more

Dave Matthews Band To Host “A Concert For Charlottesville” With All-Star Lineup

first_imgIn response to the recent events in their hometown of Charlottesville, VA, Dave Matthews Band will host an evening of music and unity that will be FREE for members of the Charlottesville and University of Virginia communities through an online request process. The event – produced by Live Nation, Starr Hill Presents and the University of Virginia – will take place on Sunday, September 24, at UVA’s Scott Stadium in Charlottesville.“A Concert for Charlottesville” will feature Dave Matthews Band, Pharrell Williams, Justin Timberlake, Chris Stapleton, Ariana Grande, Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes, The Roots, Cage the Elephant, and special guests.While tickets are free, attendees are encouraged to make a donation to the “Concert for Charlottesville Fund” at the Charlottesville Area Community Foundation. Beneficiaries of the fund will include victims of the events in Charlottesville on August 11 and 12, and their families, first responders, and organizations devoted to the promotion of healing, unity and justice locally and nationwide. Donations can be made here.Tickets will be allocated initially to residents of the greater Charlottesville area, and also to UVA students, faculty and staff. An online ticket request period is currently underway here and will end on Monday, September 11, at Noon ET. A limited number of tickets will also be available at a walk-up, no service charge box office at John Paul Jones Arena on Friday, September 15, at 10AM ET. All information can be found here.last_img read more

How Sell/Buy/Date’s Sarah Jones Used to Get Out of Class

first_img Sell/Buy/Date View Comments Related Shows Leave it to Tony winner Sarah Jones to get laughs when discussing something as serious as the commercial sex industry. That’s exactly what she’ll be doing in Sell/Buy/Date, her Carolyn Cantor-helmed solo show which will feature Jones taking on 19 different characters. On September 13, she introduced late night host Seth Meyers to a sassy, bespectacled Lorraine. “He’s married, but even so, nice to flirt at 12:30 at night,” Jones joked at Meyers. She also went on to say that she used her impersonation skill to call friends out of class as their parents back in the day. We’re excited to see her use those powers for gut-busting good in Sell/Buy/Date, which begins performances on September 27. In the meantime, watch the clip below!center_img Show Closed This production ended its run on Dec. 3, 2016 Sarah Joneslast_img read more

Captive insurance association names Diane Leach interim president

first_imgThe Board of Directors of the Vermont Captive Insurance Association (VCIA) has appointed Diane Leach interim president of the Association. The appointment will become effective upon Molly Lambert’s departure from the organization. Lambert has been recommended by Senator Patrick Leahy for appointment by President Obama as State Director for Rural Development for Vermont and New Hampshire.In announcing Leach’s interim appointment, Chair of the Board Michael Bemi, stated, “Diane’s 20+ years with the VCIA, her outstanding service to the Association and her deep understanding of the captive insurance industry make her the perfect interim leader.” Leach is a resident of Stowe, VT and has held the position of Director of Education and Program Planning for well over a decade. She was the first staff person of the VCIA when she joined the organization in 1988.As the Association transitions to new leadership, the Board also recognized the tremendous talent of each of the VCIA staff and the critical role that each will play in the organization’s continued success.The Board will outline a formal search process for the future president of VCIA during its June board meeting to be held in Burlington, VT.The VCIA is the largest captive insurance association in the world and is host to nearly 500 member companies. For updates on the search process or any other VCIA news go to www.vcia.com(link is external).Source: VCIAlast_img read more

Quintain launches bid to delist Wembley ‘palaces’

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Family friendly and full of lifestyle options

first_img14 Wyuna St, Broadbeach Waters is on the market for the first time in 36 years.ON the market for the first time in more than three decades, this double-storey brick renovator offers plentiful living spaces on a sought-after waterfront block.Currently set up for dual living, the only immediate choice is whether to lap up the tranquil water views from the downstairs house-style living or reside upstairs in a self-contained unit with the water, skyline and hinterland vista. More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa20 hours ago02:37Gold Coast property: Sovereign Islands mega mansion hits market with $16m price tag2 days agoThe pool sits in the front courtyard. The house is ideal for renovation or development.A developer or investor could also build on the bones of this family house in a sought-after Broadbeach Waters enclave. Outside, a pool and spa setting is in the front courtyard, with a timber jetty set at the rear of the property.The 1176 sq m property is set to go to auction on Saturday, February 10 at 1pm.last_img read more