China has banned sales of Apple iPhones 6 through X in Qualcomm

Qualcomm Inc on Monday said it had won a preliminary order from a Chinese court banning the importation and sale of several Apple Inc iPhone models in China that the court found violated two of Qualcomm patents.The preliminary order affects the iPhone 6S through the iPhone X. The ruling came from the Fuzhou Intermediate People’s Court in China, the same court that earlier this year banned the import of some of memory chip maker Micron Technology Inc’s chips into China. Qualcomm initially filed the case in China in late 2017.The court found Apple violated two of Qualcomm’s software patents around resizing photographs and managing applications on a touch screen.“Apple continues to benefit from our intellectual property while refusing to compensate us,” Don Rosenberg, general counsel of Qualcomm, said in a statement.Because the patents concern software, Apple could make changes to its software to avoid the patents and still be able to sell its phones.The patents in the suit, which Qualcomm said on Monday had been upheld by the Chinese patent office, are separate from those being contested in other cases in its wide-ranging legal dispute with Apple. Qualcomm has also asked regulators in the United States to ban the importation of several iPhone models over patent concerns, but U.S. officials have so far declined to do so.The specific iPhone models affected by the preliminary ruling in China are the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X.© Thomson Reuters 2018 read more

NY files suit against Dunkin Donuts over security breaches

NEW YORK — The New York attorney general says Dunkin’ Donuts violated state law by not notifying almost 20,000 customers, including more than 2,000 in New York, about cyberattacks on their accounts in 2015 and inadequately warning more than 300,000 customers in 2018 about another attack.Attorney General Letitia James announced a lawsuit Thursday against Dunkin’ Brands, Inc.The suit says the company knew in 2015 that a series of attacks had been made on customers’ online accounts, with attackers able to steal money customers had stored for use at Dunkin’ stores. But it says the company didn’t inform the customers or fully investigate.The suit says Dunkin’ also kept customers in the dark about the full extent of 2018 cyberattacks.An email seeking comment was sent to Dunkin’ Brands Inc.The Associated Press read more