• Home
  • Tag: 爱上海BX

Flu kills more migratory birds in China

first_img Hall called for the immediate testing and electronic tagging of birds to identify infected ones and trace where they go, the story said. No birds have been killed to control the outbreak, because some of the birds are protected species. WHO statement on human case in Vietnamhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_06_28/en/index.html WHO and United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) officials reported the increased death toll among birds at a refuge in Qinghai province, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report today. See also: AFP quoted Julie Hall, the WHO’s communicable-disease expert in China, as saying, “This is the first time we’ve seen large numbers of migratory birds dying from bird flu. So the virus has obviously changed to be more pathogenic to animals. What it means for humans we don’t know.” Wild waterfowl are recognized as the natural reservoir for all influenza A viruses and commonly carry them without getting sick, according to the WHO. A WHO official said 20 birds a day are still dying at the refuge, but the outbreak appears to be waning, according to an Associated Press report today. WHO and FAO officials voiced concern that China had tested only 12 birds, all of them dead, AFP reported. The officials worried that infected but asymptomatic birds could spread the virus to distant places when they migrate in August and September. WHO officials expressed concern that only two people have been tested for avian flu in connection with the outbreak, AFP reported. They also urged China to supply virus sequencing information as soon as possible so that experts can assess whether the virus has become more pathogenic. Also today, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Vietnam had confirmed another human case of H5N1 infection. That brings the WHO’s tally of human cases in Vietnam since December to 60, with the number of deaths remaining at 18. The case occurred in May in the northern province of Ha Tay. Hall said no human cases have been reported, but the presence of the virus in new bird species could mean an increased risk for humans. Initial reports of the outbreak, in May, said 178 birds had died of H5N1 flu. China later increased the number to 519 in an official report, and a Chinese official subsequently raised the number to more than 1,000. The dead birds were said to include five species. Jun 28, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – About 5,000 migratory birds have died of avian influenza at a wildlife sanctuary in northwestern China, close to five times as many as reported previously, United Nations officials who visited the site said today.last_img read more

EC Trojan Volleyball Standout Alex Disbro Signs With Battling Bishops

first_imgEast Central Trojan Volleyball standout Alex Disbro will be playing College Volleyball at Ohio Wesleyan in Delaware, Ohio (near Columbus) majoring in Education & Psychology. Alex is the daughter of Dave Disbro and Michelle Taylor.Courtesy of East Central Athletic Administration Assistant April McFarland.last_img

The Latest: Pole vault stars organize backyard competition

first_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The three biggest names in men’s pole vault will compete against each other in a rare sporting event during the coronavirus pandemic. And they’ll do it from their own backyards. World Athletics says it’s looking to hold Ultimate Garden Clash competitions in other events.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Associated Press The Latest: Pole vault stars organize backyard competitioncenter_img Video links will connect world record holder Armand Duplantis, world champion Sam Kendricks and former Olympic champion Renaud Lavillenie.World Athletics calls it “The Ultimate Garden Clash” and will stream it on social media.Duplantis will be in Louisiana, Kendricks in Mississippi and Lavillenie in France.Their challenge is to clear the most 5-meter jumps within 30 minutes. The athletes agreed on the format because adjusting the bar is not practical without officials in place.Duplantis broke Lavillenie’s world record in February. He cleared 6.17 meters and then 6.18 on consecutive weekends. May 1, 2020last_img read more

USC urges more participation in annual campaign

first_imgCardinal and gold streamers burst into the air as President C. L. Max Nikias presented a $1.5 million check Tuesday afternoon to USC’s Good Neighbors Campaign, an initiative to raise funding for community outreach from faculty and staff.The check, which will benefit 42 programs, represents the funds yielded from last year’s campaign. It was presented to community partners during the kickoff event for this year’s campaign at Alumni Park.Fundraising · President C. L. Max Nikias and administrators present a $1.5 million check to community partners during this year’s Good Neighbors Campaign kickoff event Tuesday. – Daniel Rothberg | Daily TrojanNikias announced a fundraising goal of $1.6 million for this year’s campaign, which will last through the month of October. The GNC benefits programs aimed at supporting and improving education, safety and health programs in the local community.During his remarks, Nikias applauded the program, founded in 1993, for making lasting differences through funding education programs.“When you read a child a book, he will learn for a day. But if you teach a child to read, he will learn for a lifetime,” Nikias said to an audience of students, university employees and community partners. “Programs like this not only help members of our community reach milestones, but also reach their full potential.”Daniel Zavala, a GNC manager for the USC Radisson, encourages employees, friends and guests to participate in the initiative. Zavala said the program yields positive benefits for the community.“It’s a great opportunity to meet student organizations and after school programs around the neighborhood,” Zavala said.Nikias said though only 40 percent of faculty and staff made a donation last year, he urged greater participation from employees. The $1.6 million goal would be reached if every full-time employee at USC donated $2 a week, Nikias said.“I ask you to ask yourself the following,” Nikias said. “Will I help a child to become the first in her family to attend college? Will I help and reach members of our communities through greater exposure to the arts? Will I help families learn more about wellness so they can lead more healthy lives? And will I help ensure the streets of our neighborhoods remains safe for our residents?”Since 1994, GNC has raised more than $14 million. Thomas Sayles, senior vice president for university relations, said the program is unique to USC.“When I talk to other university leaders they say, ‘Oh, it’s a wonderful program, we should do it.’ But they never do,” Sayles said. “I guess they just don’t have the Trojan spirit to really get it done.”last_img read more

NNPC/Shell Cup Announces Scholarship for Most Valuable Player

first_imgAlso speaking, Iyobor charged youths to hold firm to education while pursuing other interests particularly sports, adding, “If I had been out of school, I’m not sure I would have had this early opportunity of training tour in The Netherlands, among other benefits I’ve received from being part of the NNPC/Shell Cup.”The 2017 edition of the leading youth football tournament started in May 2017 with the preliminary matches involving some 54,000 students from 2,750 secondary schools across Nigeria competing for honours.At the finals played at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos, on July 4, 2017, the Henson boys defeated their counterparts from Holy Ghost College, Owerri, Imo State by 2:0 to emerge champions of the 19th edition of the 20-year-old tournament.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram One of the most outstanding players in the 2017 edition of the annual NNPC/Shell Cup, Ernest Ojelum, has won an International Summer School Scholarship to the United Kingdom. The announcement coincided with a reception to welcome Ernest and the other Most Valuable Player in the 2017 finals, Iyobor Arase, after a weeklong training tour in The Netherlands.Ernest of Henson Demonstration School in Benin City will be joining other international scholars at the University of Sussex later in the year in an all-expense paid programme.Announcing the scholarship award on Monday in Lagos, General Manager External Relations of Shell Nigeria, Mr. Igo Weli, described the emergence of Ernest as the outcome of a painstaking process involving the partners, University of Sussex and Henson Demonstration School. “We are delighted that our new partnership with the University of Sussex has brought a whole new excitement and incentive to the NNPC/Shell Cup to validate our belief that education and football can go hand-in-hand.”Reinforcing this defining principle behind the 20-year-old tournament, Group General Manager of National Petroleum Investment Services (NAPIMS), Mr. Roland Ewubare, expressed excitement at the yearly improvement to the tournament which he said had made the NNPC/Shell Cup a standard in youth sports competition.“We are encouraged by the emerging partnerships with Feyenoord and University of Sussex that have changed the whole motivations around the tournament, making it a household name in every part of Nigeria,” said Ewubare who was represented by the Deputy Manager, Community Relations of Public Affairs Department of NAPIMS, Ms. Julie Utang.An elated Ernest described the NNPC/Shell Cup experience as overwhelming. “From the announcement of my name as one of the most valuable players at the finals in 2017, the transformation to my life and world of experience I’ve been exposed to by NNPC and Shell are far beyond my expectations. Sometimes I think perhaps I’m dreaming.”Ernest’s father, Mr. Humphrey Ojelum, echoed similar surprise noting that youths stand a better chance of success in sports with a solid foundation in education as being promoted by NNPC and Shell.last_img read more

Jannik Sinner Beats Alex de Minaur to Win Next Gen ATP Finals

first_img Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time. Milan: Italian teenager Jannik Sinner admitted he felt like Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal as he basked in the spotlight after defeating top-seed Australian Alex de Minaur in straight sets to win the Next Gen ATP Finals on home soil in Milan on Saturday.The 18-year-old Sinner, an eighth-seeded wildcard, saved nine break points to win 4-2, 4-1, 4-2 in just over an hour against 18th-ranked De Minaur, who also lost last year’s final to Stefanos Tsitsipas. The tournament, which began in 2017, features the eight best players aged 21-and-under on the ATP Tour.And Sinner came in as a late wild card after a season when he rose almost 500 places to break into the Top 100.The player from the north of Italy, near the border with Austria, was basking in the spotlight at the hysterical support from the home crowd.”It’s something different,” he said.”I never had this kind of support, even on court. I don’t know if Roger or Rafa are still enjoying these kind of things.”I’m young and I’m enjoying it.””It’s been an unbelievable week,” continued the 95th-ranked Italian, who beat another top 20 ranked player France’s Gael Monfils last month en route to the semi-finals in Antwerp.”I was the last one in and tried to take my chances.”I played better and better with each game.”It was the first meeting between De Minaur and Sinner.But the Italian, the youngest competitor in this year’s tournament, brushed aside his Australian rival dubbed ‘Speed Demon’, who had captured his first three ATP Tour titles in Sydney, Atlanta and Zhuhai.”The biggest difference was I had nine break points and I wasn’t able to convert any of them,” said De Minaur.”Yanick played a really impressive match, he was putting me under pressure very often.”If I had converted some of those break points early it would have been a completely different match.”The Australian added: “It don’t think it would be very smart if I judged my season on this one match.”Obviously I’ve had my best season yet.”I’m happy to be able to sit down and know that I finished the year 18 in the world. Now I’ve got the Davis Cup to look forward to.”È stata una settimana davvero incredibile! 😎Grazie Jannik! 😍#NextGenATP #SeeTheFuture #Sinner @janniksin pic.twitter.com/z7TD3S2xdn— Next Gen ATP Finals (@nextgenfinals) November 9, 2019Sinner broke to love in the sixth game of the first set and staved off break points on his serve in the first game of the second set.Hitting two aces he converted three of his eight break point chances to wrap up the match to love when De Minaur hit a return of serve into the net.Sinner’s winnings for the week over $372,000 overtake his career earnings of $274,470 so far, in a season he started the rankings 551.He follows South Korean Hyeon Chung and Tsitsipas, who won the two previous editions.Both went on to reach their maiden Grand Slam semi-final at the Australian Open two months later.The top two players in the category are absent, with Greece’s Tsitsipas playing at the ATP Tour Finals in London next week, while world number 15 Denis Shapovalov withdrew from Milan after reaching last weekend’s Paris Masters final.The Next Gen tournament also offers a chance to test new innovations. Matches are played in three winning sets with four games, and a tie-break at 3-3.Coaching is allowed using headphones with hawk-eye replacing line judges.The let returned this year having being eliminated in the two previous editions. Alex De MinauratpATP FinalsJannik Sinner First Published: November 10, 2019, 8:21 AM ISTlast_img read more