The Notre Dame Fund to Protect Human Life will award its first Evangelium Vitae Medal to Richard Doerflinger, associate director of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), according to a University press release issued earlier this week. “We are looking for an American who has contributed over a long period of time significantly to the pro-life movement, especially at the beginning of life,” said David Solomon, chair of the Fund’s governing committee. “It was the active role he’s played, specifically in political life … that made us choose [Doerflinger].” Doerflinger has been a leader in the pro-life movement for over 30 years, according to the University’s press release. Solomon said Doerflinger works with the USCCB in Washington D.C. on pro-life issues and was especially active in presenting the USCCB’s stance on abortion in the federal government’s recent healthcare debates. The University’s Center for Ethics and Culture established the Notre Dame Fund to Protect Human Life earlier this year. It relies on private donors, not University money, to dedicate itself to pro-life issues, specifically at the beginning of human life, Solomon said. A five-person committee, which includes Solomon, Notre Dame Professors Fr. Wilson Miscamble, Carter Snead and Daniel Philpott and Associate Director of the Center of Ethics and Culture Elizabeth Kirk, controls the fund. The Fund will announce the Evangelium Vitae Medal recipient each year on Respect Life Sunday, Solomon said, and award it on the Feast of the Annunciation, which falls on March 25, 2011. The award includes a $10,000 prize and a specially commissioned medal, according to the press release. This medal is part of a larger initiative by the Fund to Protect Human Life, which will be formally announced within the next six weeks. “We’re starting a big new pro-life initiative in general, and we’re going to call it the Project Guadeloupe,” Solomon said. “It’s a project that will both involve education efforts here at Notre Dame and research efforts.” The initiative will encourage programs such as an annual life seminar on Notre Dame’s campus, a number of courses about life in the Notre Dame curriculum and a two-year master’s degree and service program based on pro-life work, Solomon said.
An increasing percentage of smartphone owners are using their devices for financial transactions — to pay bills, check account balances, deposit checks and make purchases, according to the Federal Reserve Board’s “Consumers and Mobile Financial Services 2015″ survey.But mobile safety is still a big concern for many. The Federal Reserve Board found that more than half of consumers who don’t use mobile banking or mobile payments avoid making transactions with their phones because they’re worried about the technology’s security.It’s true that you can put your finances and personal information at risk when you use a smartphone. If you’re not careful, your accounts could be accessed, your credit card number could fall into the wrong hands or your identity could be stolen. It’s not a lack of mobile security, though, that’s creating these risks.“The general public is painfully unaware of their security,” said Robert Siciliano, an identity theft expert with BestIDTheftCompanys.com. “They’re aware of the issues but not aware of what to do.” It’s when smartphone users don’t take the proper steps to safeguard their devices and financial transactions that they lose money or are exploited, he said. continue reading » 39SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Japan may restart business trips to and from Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam and Thailand in the next few months, easing an entry ban to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus, the Yomiuri daily said on Thursday.Up to 250 business travellers a day will most likely be allowed into Japan from the four countries, which have seen their infection situations stabilize, the newspaper said, without citing sources.Prospective visitors will be required to submit a document ahead of their trips to Japan showing they are not infected, and will be asked to go through a PCR, or polymerase chain reaction test, upon entry, the paper said. Japan, which bans entry from more than 100 countries, will negotiate with the four countries with a view to a partial reopening in the summer, it said.Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said nothing specific had been decided.”It is important to resume comings and goings of people partially and gradually,” the government spokesman told a regular news conference.”Relevant ministries are looking into the matter, while taking into consideration infection situations in and outside of Japan and exchanging views with various countries.” In another step to ease coronavirus-related restrictions, the Tokyo metropolitan government is set to lift the “Tokyo alert”, issued last week to urge residents to keep their guard up, and allow more businesses to resume operations, public broadcaster NHK said.The capital saw 22 new cases of coronavirus infection on Thursday, up from 18 on Wednesday. The average daily infection tally over the past week has remained below the capital’s threshold of 20 for the easing of restrictions.The Tokyo metropolitan government plans to advance its business resumption process to “step 3” on Friday, after holding talks with medical experts, NHK said.Under the new phase, such businesses as videogame arcades and amusement parks will be allowed to reopen. Topics :
The visitors made the better start and both Darragh Fanning and Dan Leavy came close to breaching the home defence. However, Edinburgh survived and enjoyed a spell in the ascendancy without posing any real threat to the Leinster line. A high tackle on Cathal Marsh handed Leinster a long-range penalty and Nacewa banged over the kick to open the scoring in the 17th minute. Scoring opportunities remained rare and the next chance to trouble the scoreboard came when Nacewa lined up a penalty from inside his own half. His effort drifted left of the posts. Edinburgh’s next visit to opposition territory yielded a penalty and Fowles slotted the kick to leave the scores tied after 25 minutes. Buoyed by that score, Edinburgh enjoyed a brief spell of pressure and it took a crunching tackle by Luke McGrath to halt Sam Beard as he headed for the whitewash. The hosts were just as threatening with Dougie Fife and Nasi Manu both coming close to breaking through. Leinster were penalised for collapsing a scrum five metres from the line. Phil Burleigh despatched the kick into touch and Edinburgh applied renewed pressure. However, six phases later, the hosts were penalised for coming in from the side. Another opportunity came Edinburgh’s way with two minutes remaining in the first half but Fowles was off target with a long penalty that proved to be the final scoring opportunity of the opening 40 minutes. Winger Damien Hoyland had a try double for the hosts, whose other points came from penalties by Nathan Fowles and Jack Cuthbert. Three penalties by Isa Nacewa accounted for the Leinster points. Edinburgh made a winning start to their Guinness PRO12 campaign when they edged to a 16-9 victory over Leinster in a keenly contested encounter at the Meggetland ground. Edinburgh restarted well but squandered an opportunity to extend their lead when Fowles was off target with a penalty attempt. They continued to press and looked to have rumbled over following a close range lineout. However, the TMO ruled that no try had been scored. However, the five points were only delayed and several phases later, Hoyland plunged over for an unconverted try. Nacewa responded with a well struck penalty that trimmed the deficit to two points after 61 minutes. Edinburgh appeared to have bought some breathing space when Cuthbert banged over a long-range penalty. But once again the visitors responded in kind when Nacewa landed his third penalty of the night. However, the home side were not to be denied and Hoyland darted in at the corner to clinch the victory in the final minute. Press Association