• Home
  • Tag: 杭州龙凤网

Taylor targets Windies recall

first_imgHOVE, England, CMC – Jerome Taylor said he welcomed the chance to play county matches in England and hoped his brief stint with Sussex can spur a recall to the West Indies team. The 32-year-old fast bowler last month reversed his decision to retire from Tests last year, admitting he made a mistake and was working hard to regain a place in the Caribbean side for future matches. “I think I might have jumped the gun retiring from international cricket.,” he told the Argus newspaper. “When I sit at home and watch, I just want to get back out on the park and play for the West Indies again. I want to give back to West Indies cricket. That is what I always wanted to do growing up and hopefully I can do it again.” Taylor has played 46 Tests, 85 One-day and 23 Twenty20 Internationals for West Indies between 2003 and his decision to step away from Tests last July. He played in the Regional Super50 Tournament earlier this year for the Jamaica Scorpions, showing he had lost little of his fire and collected 16 wickets at 18.81 apiece in eight of his side’s 10 matches, and he also turned out for the franchise in four Regional 4-Day matches in which he grabbed eight wickets at 28.62 each. The West Indies selection panel, headed by Courtney Browne, however, ignored his claims and a record that include 130 Test scalps at 34.46, 126 ODI wickets at 28.16 and 24 T20I wickets for the preceding England ODI and ongoing Pakistan home series. For now, Taylor is relishing the chance of replacing injured South Africa fast bowler Vernon Philander at the 1st Central County Ground. He is looking to play a more prominent role having been disappointed with his figures of 1-54 from eight overs, as the Sharks secured a much-needed win on his debut against Glamorgan last Tuesday, having only arrived from the Caribbean 24 hours earlier. It was only the county’s second win in the One-Day Cup since August 2014 and boosted their hopes of challenging for a place in the knockout stages. “It was great to get the win, but I was not satisfied with my performance,” he said. “I was still probably a bit jet-lagged, but I don’t want to blame it on that. It is a game of cricket and I have played enough cricket to know what is required. “There is a lot of room for improvement, and hopefully, I can give some very good performances for Sussex while I am here. It is only a couple of weeks, but I will try to adapt as quickly as possible.” He said: “I’m loving every minute of it so far and the lads in the dressing room have made it a lot easier for me to settle in. But my body needs to acclimatise to the different temperature over here and the pitches are different. “It was also a bit strange bowling down the hill, but after the first three or four overs, you know you have to pull yourself up a bit. This is home for the next two to three weeks so I need to get used to it. “I’ve been in England before, but a long while ago, so it is about learning all over again. I am willing to do that and I’m sure it won’t take me long to hit top form.”last_img read more

Group on healing walk across Manitoba motivated by personal tragedies

first_imgMatt Thordarson APTN National NewsA group of walkers from Northern Manitoba has arrived in Winnipeg.They started their 760 km trek on July 3 in the town of Thompson.The aim is to raise awareness about missing and murdered people, both women and men, in the province’s north.The walkers brought with them their personal stories about loved ones who are lost, but not forgotten.last_img

Indigenous woman says shut down of Saskatchewan bus service will cost lives

first_imgThe Canadian PressAn Indigenous woman in Regina says she believes “people are going to die” because of the Saskatchewan government’s decision to shut down the provincial bus service.Connie Deiter said that’s why she has filed a complaint with the human rights commission alleging that the decision discriminates against her and other Indigenous women.Deiter said First Nations women took the bus because they couldn’t afford couldn’t afford cars.Read the Notice: STC“If you’re poor, you don’t have access to a vehicle, a lot of our people don’t, the only option is to hitchhike and that’s already happening,” Deiter said Thursday.“You’ll see people hitchhiking on the road now where they probably would have been taking (the bus). You never used to see them hitchhiking before … but now you’re seeing men and women with their luggage and their children. I saw that in Fort Qu’Appelle just a couple of days ago.”A friend picked up a First Nations elder who was walking with a cane and suitcase, Deiter said.She said a woman disappeared about two weeks ago while hitchhiking from Yorkton to North Battleford.“And this has been less than a month since the STC closed, so yeah I think we are looking at ‘Highways of Tears’ all over the province,” she said.Her reference was to a notorious stretch of highway in northern British Columbia that became known as the “Highway of Tears” after 18 women were murdered or disappeared since the 1970s.The Saskatchewan government said it would be inappropriate to comment on the complaint because the matter is before the human rights commission.The government shut down the 70-year-old Saskatchewan Transportation Co. at the end of May as part of an effort to tackle a $1.3 billion deficit.STC reported a net loss of $13 million in the 2015-2016 fiscal year and the government said it would need $85 million over the next five years to keep operating.The government hopes private companies will fill the void.Deiter said she’d like to see a system that’s partially funded or organized by the Saskatchewan government.In British Columbia, First Nations leaders and mayors pushed the government to fund transportation along Highway 16, which stretches between Prince George and Prince Rupert.The B.C. government finally came up with a transportation plan last year, but only after a decade of advocacy and a 2012 report from a missing women inquiry that recommended bus service along the 700-kilometre corridor where people often hitchhike to get around.Deiter said the change was only made after women died.She hopes Saskatchewan doesn’t wait for that to happen.“I just hope that the provincial government shows some sympathy or some empathy for those people who are going to be hitchhiking,” said Deiter.“I hate to be the one that’s being a foreteller of bad times, but I mean people are going to die and I’m hoping that there’s going be some sort of a change.”news@aptn.calast_img read more