The Notre Dame Fund to Protect Human Life will award its first Evangelium Vitae Medal to Richard Doerflinger, associate director of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), according to a University press release issued earlier this week. “We are looking for an American who has contributed over a long period of time significantly to the pro-life movement, especially at the beginning of life,” said David Solomon, chair of the Fund’s governing committee. “It was the active role he’s played, specifically in political life … that made us choose [Doerflinger].” Doerflinger has been a leader in the pro-life movement for over 30 years, according to the University’s press release. Solomon said Doerflinger works with the USCCB in Washington D.C. on pro-life issues and was especially active in presenting the USCCB’s stance on abortion in the federal government’s recent healthcare debates. The University’s Center for Ethics and Culture established the Notre Dame Fund to Protect Human Life earlier this year. It relies on private donors, not University money, to dedicate itself to pro-life issues, specifically at the beginning of human life, Solomon said. A five-person committee, which includes Solomon, Notre Dame Professors Fr. Wilson Miscamble, Carter Snead and Daniel Philpott and Associate Director of the Center of Ethics and Culture Elizabeth Kirk, controls the fund. The Fund will announce the Evangelium Vitae Medal recipient each year on Respect Life Sunday, Solomon said, and award it on the Feast of the Annunciation, which falls on March 25, 2011. The award includes a $10,000 prize and a specially commissioned medal, according to the press release. This medal is part of a larger initiative by the Fund to Protect Human Life, which will be formally announced within the next six weeks. “We’re starting a big new pro-life initiative in general, and we’re going to call it the Project Guadeloupe,” Solomon said. “It’s a project that will both involve education efforts here at Notre Dame and research efforts.” The initiative will encourage programs such as an annual life seminar on Notre Dame’s campus, a number of courses about life in the Notre Dame curriculum and a two-year master’s degree and service program based on pro-life work, Solomon said.
The Jami’ Ar-Rahmah mosque located in East Tebet subdistrict in Tebet, South Jakarta, insisted on gathering dozens of local residents for Friday prayer, even though the subdistrict had one confirmed case COVID-19.Friday prayer is obligatory for Muslim men in place of zuhur (daily midday prayer). It is also accompanied by a mandatory sermon that can last up to 45 minutes.The mosque also went against an Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) fatwa issued on Monday that called on Muslims to pray at home and avoid congregating in areas where COVID-19 had spread “uncontrollably”, including skipping “Friday prayers in those areas until the situation returns to normal”. Tribunnews.com reported on locals and authorities from Lampung, Bangka Belitung and Riau provinces choosing to disinfect their mosques and conducting the weekly prayer. The Great Mosque of Palembang in South Sumatra even gave out pamphlets containing information about COVID-19 to attendees.Indonesia has reported 369 positive COVID-19 cases with 32 fatalities as of Friday.Al Azhar Mosque in South Jakarta also went ahead with the weekly event.Some mosques have chosen to heed the MUI’s warning and canceled Friday prayer, including prominent ones such Istiqlal Grand Mosque, Sunda Kelapa Mosque and Baiturrahim Mosque in the State Palace compound, all in Central Jakarta.In addition to the MUI fatwa, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan also announced on Thursday that the city would limit Friday prayer and all other mass religious activities for the next two weeks after a discussion with the Jakarta Religious Harmony Forum and all religious leaders in the capital.With 210 cases, Jakarta has the highest number of COVID-19 infections from the 17 provinces that have reported the disease.”We agreed to suspend all communal worship activities for two weeks. We urge people to pray at home during this time,” Anies said during a press briefing at City Hall on Thursday.After the administration’s warning, Istiqlal Mosque agreed to suspend Friday prayer for two weeks after insisting on holding the event.Istiqlal high imam Nasaruddin Umar also advised Muslims across the country to avoid all forms of congregational prayers during the pandemic.“We are strongly encouraged to prevent everything that is harmful,” he added. “Preventing harm is more important than pursuing benefits.” (mfp) Topics : Ahmad, a 35-year-old caretaker of the Jami’ Ar-Rahmah Mosque said the Indonesian Mosque Council and the subdistrict’s office had approved the Friday prayer, adding that the mosque had been cleaned and sprayed with disinfected beforehand.“The people were eager to attend Friday prayer, so we still held it,” Ahmad told The Jakarta Post on Friday.Jami’ Ar-Rahmah was one of the many mosques still compelled to hold Friday prayer despite the ulema council’s warning. Caretakers of the Great Al Azhom mosque in Tangerang, Banten, said the mosque still held Friday prayer with a shorter sermon than usual while also advising people to bring their own prayer mats.“Because as of now, Tangerang is not a red zone. So, we chose to still have Friday prayer,” Chaerudin said on Friday as quoted by kompas.com, adding that the mosque had already been disinfected and people attending the prayer would have their temperatures checked.
BOONE, Iowa (Sept. 6) – Fans of the 4-cylinder class will get their money’s worth and then some Tuesday night at the IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s.A record 84 Mach-1 Sport Compacts race tonight with eight heats and four “B” features setting the field for the 25-lap main event at Boone Speedway.Sport Compacts have been part of the Super Nationals program since 2011; the previous car count record of 64 was established two years ago.Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota and Wisconsin are represented.*Also on the night two Super Nationals program is qualifying for both the BSB Manufacturing Northern SportMod Race of Champions and Stephenville Starter Hobby Stock Race of Champions, a Hobby Stock qualifying feature and two Northern SportMod qualifiers.*Brendon Yamry brings a ton of momentum to his first Super Nationals, after sweeping Mighty Axe Nationals features at North Central Speedway.He just won’t get to take advantage of that momentum until the eighth and final Sport Compact heat.“The number of cars is pretty impressive,” said the Holdingford High School freshman, who made the five-hour tow from Rice, Minn. “Making the feature is my first goal but all I really want to do is win it.”He’s got double-digit wins this season, the lion’s share of them at Brainerd.*The Texas tandem of Jeremy Oliver and Wesley Warren are 1-for-2 in their Hobby Stock qualifying efforts at Super Nationals.Oliver, from Chilton, saw his Super Nationals luck do a 180 in his third trip to Boone while Warren, from Fairfield, finished mid-pack in his qualifier and will try again Tuesday to make the big show.Mechanical issues put the damper on Oliver’s first two trips north. He’s wielding a 2016 Wild Child car that he’s put in victory lane in eight of 13 starts this season.“That’s pretty awesome,” said Oliver, a regular at Heart O’ Texas who’s pared his racing schedule to spend more time with family. “Qualifying for Super Nationals is priceless because you can bring a fast car here and still not make it.”He spent a good part of Tuesday prepping for Race of Champions qualifying.Points leader in the Charger Chassis Southern Region, Warren also races at HO’T and makes the four-hour tow to run Saturdays at Abilene. He’s won seven times this season and is at Boone for the first time“I’ve never seen anything like this. I’ve never seen this many cars,” he said. “I’ve never been in a race with that many cars.”Warren won’t make any significant changes on his car in before his Tuesday qualifying heat.“We’ll keep the same setup,” he said. “The car has been running good so we’re pretty close. I’ve just got to keep it straight.”*Matt Petrzelka’s ride was voted the best looking Northern SportMod.Along with a trophy, he received a $200 cash award from Golden Empire Towing.*Top two drivers from each of five heats advance to Saturdays race of champions for the Northern SportMods. Erik Laudenschlager and Cory Rose – both in the law enforcement field – drew the front row starts during the fan zone program.Completing the field from third to 10th starting will be Nick Meyer, Bryan Herrick, Clint Luellen, Danny Dvorak, Doug Smith, Benjamin Schultze, Jesse Skalicky and Jim Gillenwater.Brandon Nielsen showed the high card and will start on the pole of the Hobby Stock RoC. Trevor Holm takes the green from outside the front row.Third through 10th starting are Chanse Hollatz, Jason Wilkinson, Daniel Smith, Jeff Ware, Eric Stanton, Corey Madden, Justin Luinenburg and Benji Irvine.
Munster head coach Rob Penney said securing a home Heineken Cup quarter-final was ‘massive’ for his team as they coasted to a 38-6 bonus-point win over Edinburgh at Thomond Park. “One of the things we spoke about was our magnificent supporters who follow us around Europe and everywhere we go,” said the New Zealander. “For the lads, it was a small reward for them to be able to come and watch us here at home, for the season ticket holders to be able to come and watch them play at Thomond Park. “As a cauldron it is a very difficult place for any team to come and play. To have that opportunity to play one more European Cup game on our home ground is great – wonderful reward for the lads’ efforts.” Penney was admittedly pleased with the manner in which his side refused to get distracted by the fact they knew a bonus-point victory was what was required before today’s round six clash with the Scots. “We were really focused on getting the job done in a really professional way, which was a great sign. “You shouldn’t underestimate Edinburgh for a start. But I was really excited about the potential for us to get Edinburgh on a firm track and the proof is in the pudding. “Knowing what was needed beforehand could have been a distraction. It is a great credit to the lads that they just went about their task and focused on being in one moment at a time and just doing the job. “It is very easy to get anxious if the points are not coming when you know a bonus-point win is what is required to get a special outcome. “It was nice for us to know as a group. The one pleasing thing is that we did not get distracted by it.” Meanwhile, Edinburgh boss Alan Solomons said the sin-binning of their flanker Cornell du Preez on the stroke of half-time was a major moment in the game. “That was a big decision. That had a major influence at that particular point,” insisted Solomons, whose side were hoping to win through to the Amlin Challenge Cup quarter-finals. “Munster got a try (from Conor Murray) coming out of half-time which put them up 19-6. Then the game starts to get beyond you and later on again we had another yellow card (for Geoff Cross) which made it very, very difficult. “Munster are a good team and when you make mistakes and you turn over ball or are down to 14 men, they are going to take advantage. “Those 10 minutes were a key factor and once those 10 minutes were gone, the game was pretty much gone as well.” Having led 12-6 at the break, Penney’s charges went on to dominate the second half with tries from Conor Murray, captain Peter O’Mahony – allied to closing scores from Simon Zebo and Felix Jones – ensuring they will host a last-eight date in Limerick in early April. Penney said he was pleased for Munster’s supporters that their 15th quarter-final appearance in 16 seasons would be at Thomond Park. Press Association