PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC:Well-known former national coach Alvin Corneal has slammed the appointment of Belgian Tom Saintfiet, calling it “a disrespect” to domestic coaches.The 43-year-old Saintfiet was unveiled as the new Soca Warriors head coach at a media conference on Wednesday, replacing Trinidad and Tobago-born Stephen Hart, who was sacked last month.Though Saintfiet has had multiple coaching roles in the past – mainly in Africa – none of them have been high-profile, and the outspoken Corneal believes he will be a burden to the side.”I am not in agreement with having a foreign coach at this time simply because it is an exercise in futility,” Corneal told the Express newspaper.”Foreign coaches can’t walk in here and pick up national players and get them to gel as a team, especially when you don’t have a lot of time.”Why are you burdening us with him and you don’t even know him [or] anything about [him]. It is unfair and a disrespect to our local coaches.That is my biggest problem because I feel it for the young coaches who are aspiring to the national level; you not even recognising them, but bringing somebody who has no track record of note.”Saintfiet takes over a national side lying one from bottom of the six-team CONCACAF World Cup-qualifying final round following losses in their two opening games.And Trinidad and Tobago FA chief, David John-Williams instantly placed Saintfiet under pressure by indicating that he needed to immediately revive the country’s World Cup dream in the next two qualifiers next March, or also face the sack.Corneal was critical of this approach, noting a more long-term view was needed.”If we are realistic, we would get one or two good local coaches and get the training going. If it (World Cup campaign) doesn’t succeed, at least we know we will have players mostly between the ages 23-27 trained properly,” the former national player argued.
Zoo director, Diego García Heredia says the Culiacán Zoo in Sinaloa has officially presented their two newest members. The two spider monkeys were seized after being found used for tourist opportunities in the town of Bacalar in the south of Quintana Roo. García Heredia explained that the two monkeys were seized from humans who were using them for commercialization and it is due to that coexistence that they could not be released into the wild. The two monkeys were relocated to the state of Sinaloa from Quintana Roo through the management of the Association of Zoos, Hatcheries and Aquariums of Mexico (Azcarm). The two spider monkeys were cared for in a shelter for two months before being transferred to their new home in Sinaloa. The director noted that the monkeys were not “in the best condition” when they were seized, “however now, they are in top physical and behavioral health.”Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) “This type of species cannot be returned to the wild because they were already in contact with humans. They were already influenced by humans. They already had some customs, they no longer had their natural behavior to be able to survive in the wild,” said García Heredia. “It is by the management of Azcarm that the zoo manages to house these two specimens of spider monkeys in its facilities, and thus promote the conservation of the species. They represent something very important for the species,” said the zoo director. Culiacán Rosales, Sinaloa — Two spider monkeys rescued from Bacalar have been given new homes in the state of Sinaloa.