Hubler’s plane apparently clipped the back of Somes’ plane before crashing. Somes was able to land his damaged aircraft, race officials said. Two judges on the ground also were injured but there was no immediate word on their condition, the Reno Gazette-Journal reported on its Web site. One refused medical treatment, the newspaper said. Competing in the Forumla One class, Hubler was flying a Cassutt III M single-seat plane named “Mariah,” which is designed for pylon racing and aerial acrobatics. Hubler started competing in the Reno races in 1984. During Thursday’s first heat, he reached a top speed of 259 mph, according to the air races’ Web site. Two pilots were killed in separate accidents on Tuesday and Thursday. RENO, Nev. – Two airplanes collided in the air Friday at the Reno National Championship Air Races, killing one pilot and injuring a Simi Valley pilot in the third fatal crash there in four days. Five-time defending champion Gary Hubler, 51, Caldwell, Idaho, was killed in the crash shortly after 9:30 a.m. at the Stead Airport just north of Reno, race officials said. The pilot of the other plane involved in the accident, Jason Somes of Simi Valley, was taken to Renown Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. A friend said he was being treated for an eye injury. Hubler’s death marked the 18th fatality in the 44-year history of the air races and prompted the suspension of the competition the rest of Friday. Race officials said they did not know whether the event would continue through the weekend as scheduled or not. Brad Morehouse of Afton, Wyo., was “killed instantly” when his jet crashed about 2:45 p.m. Tuesday, touching off a small brush fire along the runway, said Michael Houghton, president of the air races. Morehouse, co-owner of Afton Flight Service in Wyoming, was flying an L-39 Albatross he named “Dino Juice,” a jet often used for military flight training. He was flying in the second heat of the jet class competition. He had finished fourth in Wednesday’s qualifying round, reaching a maximum speed of 504 mph, race officials said. The cause of that crash was under investigation but race officials said the initial indication was Morehouse may have gotten caught in the wake of a jet he was tailing. Houghton said he expected the races to resume on Friday. “I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t race tomorrow,” Houghton told reporters at a news conference at the airport. “That is what Brad Morehouse would have wanted us to do.” Steve Dari, a pilot from Lemon Grove, was killed when his biplane stalled shortly after takeoff during a practice run at the air races on Tuesday. His fatal crash had been the first at the races since 2002.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
20 December 2010 A team of experts advising the South African government on acid mine drainage has recommended a series of short-term measures to address the problem. The measures are benchmarked against countries that have experienced similar problems, such as Canada and the United States.They include pumping and neutralisation of acid mine drainage, enforcing compliance, regular inspections, and prevention of ingress as short-term measures to maintain water levels at least below the relevant environmental critical level.The government’s inter-ministerial committee on acid mine drainage said in a statement on Friday that it had received an updated report from the team of experts on Wednesday.The scope of the team’s work included assessing work done to date as well as available solutions and technology, and proposing integrated short-, medium- and long-term solutions.It also included assessing costs viability, as well as exploring possible partnerships with the private sector.The committee said the government has acknowledged and accepts that acid mine drainage is a problem that South Africa needs to address urgently.This, the committee said, should be done in a co-ordinated manner between a range of stakeholders that included the mining industry, with the government always play a leading role.The team’s report advocated for the three priority basins (North, Central and Western) to have implementation plans that included pumping and neutralisation of acid mine drainage, enforcing compliance, regular inspections, and prevention of ingress as short-term measures to maintain water levels at least below the relevant environmental critical level.The committee believed the proposals were founded on scientific research and engineering instead of simplistic, quick-fix solutions.Some areas needing revisiting included the liability of polluters and costing of implementation.The recommendations were benchmarked on some countries that had experienced acid mine drainage problems, such as Canada and the United States.The report would be presented to the Cabinet early in January. The Cabinet would then determine the way forward.Sapa
COLLEGE PARK, MD – OCTOBER 03: Head coach Jim Harbaugh of the Michigan Wolverines (L) jogs off the fiedl with his brother Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh (R) following halftime of the Michigan and Maryland Terrapins game at Byrd Stadium on October 3, 2015 in College Park, Maryland. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)It’s a safe bet that Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh, who also played for the Wolverines, isn’t a fan of Michigan State. But for at least one day in 1999, he intentionally wore Spartan green. This week, WXTZ-TV in Detroit unearthed footage of Harbaugh celebrating with the 1999 Michigan State basketball team during their national title run.Why does this exist? Harbaugh’s sister, Joani, is married to Tom Crean, who was then MSU’s assistant coach. Crean is now the head coach at Indiana.Harbaugh probably isn’t thrilled that this footage exists. But if his team beats MSU tomorrow, he probably won’t care.
TORONTO – With a sigh and hesitant pause, Jason Paris confides that in retrospect he wishes he’d done more research before putting down a deposit on the now defunct Museum FLTS condominium project in Toronto’s trendy Lower Junction area.The 43-year-old television production manager is one of hundreds of would-be homeowners who recently had their money returned and dreams dashed when the building’s developer, Castlepoint Numa, cited lengthy delays obtaining the necessary approvals, building permits and financing, as reasons for the halt.“If I had the knowledge I have now, then, I definitely would have researched Castlepoint further,” said Paris, who subsequently found out that the developer did the same thing to other hopeful Toronto condo buyers a few years ago when another one its projects fell through.While Castlepoint Numa said it’s giving original Museum FLTS buyers the first opportunity and a discount on the next residential phase of its greater Lower Junction neighbourhood project, Paris points out that some buyers have been burned twice in a row by the same developer.The best line of defence for prospective presale condo buyers seeking to mitigate any potential fallout is to do the appropriate due diligence on the developer before signing any contracts, experts say.Unfortunately, there’s not much that can be done to protect Paris and others like him who become the victims of a cancelled condo complex, said Vancouver real estate lawyer Richard Bell.“It does happen in various scenarios, particularly if there’s a significant downturn in a market over a short period of time. So really, people are at risk,” said Bell, who works for law firm Bell Alliance.The bottom line? Do your homework, Bell said.“Who is the developer? What have they built previously? A new developer entering the market place is going to greater risk in a situation for a buyer than having a very experience developer in the market place.”The key advantage of using seasoned developers is that they have a name and brand to protect, notes Toronto real estate lawyer Mark Weisleder.“I have heard of situations where the builders have cancelled the deal and then turned around and then resold units at a $100,000 more each, and there’s virtually nothing that the original owners could do because there were lots of clauses in the contracts that allowed builders to cancel,” said Weisleder.“But you will find that reputable people, people who have been around a long time, they don’t do that. When they plan a development and plan units, they’re expected to complete. They price accordingly and they complete.”Keep in mind, Weisleder added, that even in Toronto’s increasingly competitive condo market — where the average selling price for a unit is about $523,000 — approximately 95 to 97 per cent of developments will see completion. According to real estate consultancy Urbanation, 23 condo projects have been cancelled in the city since 2012 — five of them in the last year.Bell said that the last time he’d heard of a cancelled condo development in Vancouver was in 2008, during the financial crisis.Jason Paris believes he is luckier than some because he only got involved with the cancelled condo project in February, when he signed a contract and handed over his deposit.“Some people had their investment off the market for a year and a half. I’m off the market for nine months,” he said.“But in a crazy property market like Toronto, those nine months are really going to make a huge a difference on what I can afford going forward.”Follow @DaveHTO on Twitter.
SAN FRANCISCO — The Latest on sales at Apple Inc., which issued a rare cut to its revenue forecast citing weakness in China (all times local):9:15 a.m.A rare call by Apple to walk back its quarterly revenue projections is weighing broadly on U.S. markets, and particularly the tech sector.Shares of Apple Inc. are down 9 per cent before the opening bell Thursday, and the S&P tech sector is by far the worst performer with less than an hour before trading begins.Apple sits at the top of an immense food chain of tech companies that supply it from Europe, Asia and the U.S., and almost all are being hit hard. STMicroelectronics, based in Paris, plunged 14 per cent. Broadcom Inc. in Silicon Valley dropped 4 per cent, as did the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.In a letter to the company shareholders after the stock market closed Wednesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook traced most of the damage to China, which is squaring off with the U.S. in a trade war just as its economy begins to show signs of slowing.Ten of the 11 S&P sectors are in decline.The Associated Press
For a full schedule of events, visit npcc.bc.ca. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Bright Nights the annual arts festival is setting the stage for the 2020 Winter Games.The North Peace Cultural Society in partnership with the City of Fort St. John and community groups are gearing up for a fun-filled, family friendly weekend with the best of local art and local sport.“In all our activities, we are going to blur the line between art and sport, and revive the city’s spirit for the Winter Games by showcasing arts related to sport,” said Baptiste Marcere, Executive Director of the North Peace Cultural Centre. Thursday, June 6 at 6:30 p.m. marks the start of the festival with Art Stars, an interactive opportunity for the public to meet and hear from professional artists and performers who grew up in Fort St. John and how they made a career for themselves in the arts. “We are gathering local artists and art groups to showcase, demonstrate, and delight,” said Marcere.Art Stars FB Event Page; CLICK HEREFriday, June 7, the Cultural Centre will host a gala evening with fresh cocktails at the ready, and Vancouver Theatre Sports to entertain guests with their hilarious improv skills.Bright Nights in June Gala; CLICK HERE Saturday, June 8, the festival ends with a public art market, hands-on pottery and weaving demonstrations, live entertainment, and the 2019 World Fair.The North Peace Cultural Society shares, this year we will host an extraordinary printmaking workshop. “The city recognized the success of the printmaking and will close the 99th avenue from the 100 St to 102 St,” said Marcere.
New Delhi: Actor Jim Sarbh who has created a niche for himself in Bollywood by playing grey characters in films like Neerja, Raabta and Padmaavat is back with web series ‘Made In Heaven’. “There are plenty of projects in my hand right now. I am looking forward to play characters that I have not played so far. It is important for an actor to play different roles,” Jim said. The 31-year-old is currently enjoying praise for portraying Adil Khanna in web series ‘Made in Heaven’, which he says explores reality of society. “The show is like a great juxtaposition of all those that go on behind beautiful facades. It removes the curtains and make you see the reality of backstage. It shows what actually goes on in a wedding, not just looking perfect from outside. It reflects the integration of modernism and traditionalism,” said Jim. To a question whether a web series give more depth to an actor, he said: “It totally depends upon the writing. Be it films or shows or plays, it’s the content that matters the most. Good writing is the key.”
New Delhi: Less than 15 aircraft of Jet Airways are currently operational, Civil Aviation Secretary P S Kharola said on Wednesday. The SBI-led consortium of lenders had taken over the management of the cash-hit Jet Airways last month. Asked about the active fleet of the beleaguered airline, the Civil Aviation Secretary said here that “yesterday, it was 28”. On the airline informing stock exchanges on Tuesday evening that 15 more aircraft have been grounded, Kharola said the current fleet “would be less than about 15”. The airline has around 119 aircraft in its fleet. In the last few weeks, the airline has been grounding its aircraft in tranches due to non-payment of dues to lessors. Regarding funding issues of the airline, Kharola – who was speaking on the sidelines of an event – said, “The issue is between bankers and Jet management. So they are discussing with each other.” The private carrier Tuesday said it has grounded 15 more aircraft due to non-payment of rentals to lessors. Till last month, the Mumbai-headquartered airline, which is now under the new ownership, had taken 54 planes out of operations due to lease rental defaults. On March 25, Jet Airways’ board approved a resolution plan formulated by SBI-led domestic lenders. Under the plan, lenders decided to take control of the airline and make a fund infusion of Rs 1,500 crore.
Washington DC: After a deadly crash in Indonesia, American Airlines pilots called a meeting to press Boeing executives for safety changes to the 737 MAX aircraft, US media reported Tuesday. The call for changes, which could have required the best-selling aircraft model to be temporarily grounded, were reported by The New York Times and CBS News after they obtained an audio recording of the November 27 meeting between the American Airlines pilots union and officials from the aircraft manufacturer. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraThe 737 MAX 8 is currently grounded worldwide after the March crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 that killed all 157 people onboard and drew scrutiny to the new Boeing model’s anti-stall system, which investigators believe may have brought the jet down. But the meeting shows that pilots were already worried about the safety of the model following the October 2018 crash in Indonesia of a Lion Air 737 MAX 8 that left no survivors of the 189 people onboard. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 daysAccording to the reports, the pilots were particularly concerned about the MCAS anti-stall system that investigators in both Indonesia and Ethiopia have blamed for the crashes. “No one has yet to conclude that the sole cause of this was this function on the airplane,” Boeing vice-president Mike Sinnett told the meeting. “The worst thing that can ever happen is a tragedy like this, and the even worse thing would be another one,” he said later in the meeting held four months before the Ethiopian Airlines disaster. Meanwhile, the pilots in the meeting said they felt they weren’t told enough about the MCAS system, which was new to the 737 MAX 8. “These guys didn’t even know the damn system was on the airplane, nor did anybody else,” said Mike Michaelis, head of safety for the pilot’s union. Following the Lion Air crash, Boeing had issued additional instructions to pilots in case they faced a malfunction of the MCAS. But in a letter obtained by AFP, Michaelis said the instructions weren’t sufficient for pilots to know how to handle malfunctions with the anti-stall system.
Five games into the 2012 campaign, the undefeated Ohio State women’s lacrosse team continues to dominate every team in their path with their best start in 10 years. Led by second-year coach Alexis Venechanos, the No. 12-ranked Buckeyes have outscored their opponents, 86-26, and allowed less than 15 shots per match. Brown University was OSU’s latest victim Saturday. OSU won, 16-3, in Ohio Stadium on the heels of a 21-7 win against Louisville on Feb. 19. “I am pleased with how we turned it around and put the tempo in our favor,” Venechanos said in a press release Saturday. “Brown is a good team and the game was closer than the score shows. They definitely made it difficult for us to get our game going at the beginning.” On the defensive end, the Buckeyes forced 15 of Brown’s 18 turnovers, which helped the Buckeyes score 12 unanswered goals at one point in the match. Senior attacker and co-captain Alayna Markwordt became the leading scorer in school history, edging the previous mark by four points, in the game against the Cardinals. Markwordt stands at 252 career points which date back to the fourth game of her freshman season on March 1, 2009. “As a team, we were really just focused on coming out and winning, and breaking the record was just part of that,” Markwordt said in a Feb. 19 press release. “I’m very grateful to have been able to play here for four years and remain healthy to get to this point.” The Buckeye offense is averaging 17.2 points per game, second in the American Lacrosse Conference only to Johns Hopkins’ 19. A newly installed “man-advantage” rule, where teams play without a player in each attacking zone for two minutes after a yellow card penalty, has not slowed down the Buckeyes. OSU was called for yellow cards three times in the Robert Morris game and twice against No. 6-ranked Stanford. No points were given up during those two-minute impediments. Co-captain and senior midfielder, Gabby Capuzzi, was honored as the ALC Offensive Player of the Week after the opening weekend of play. Capuzzi tallied six points in the 14-10 upset against Stanford. She leads the team with 15 ground balls and caused 14 turnovers. In OSU’s season opener against San Diego State Feb. 11, senior midfielder and co-captain Kirsten Donahue added four goals to her 15 on the season . Freshmen goalies, Caitlin Hester and Tori DeScenza, had a combined six saves in their first match of their collegiate career. The Buckeyes take on Notre Dame (2-0) at home next at 1 p.m. Sunday.